President Obama on Wednesday will formally announce the most aggressive and expansive national gun-control agenda in generations as he presses Congress to mandate background checks for all firearms buyers and prohibit assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.
The announcement will set off a fierce confrontation with Congress over an issue that has riven American society for decades. Obama’s far-reaching firearms agenda has at best tepid support from his party leaders and puts him at loggerheads with Democratic centrists.
Obama also is expected to present up to 19 executive actions that his administration will take, the lawmakers and advocates said. These steps include enhanced federal scientific research on gun violence and a modernized federal database system to track guns, criminals and the mentally ill.
Obama’s proposals amount to the most comprehensive federal regulations of the firearms industry since 1968, when President Lyndon B. Johnson acted in the aftermath of high-profile assassinations.
- Obama to Use Children as Props When He Unveils His Gun Proposals (pjmedia.com)
- Obama Plan To Go Beyond Mass Shootings To Everyday Violence (mysanantonio.com)
- Mass. Gov. Patrick plans to file gun control bill (sfgate.com)
- O’Malley promises gun control legislation in Md. (sfgate.com)
- What are Obama’s gun control proposals? (cbsnews.com)
- Linn Co. sheriff tells Joe Biden he won’t enforce new federal gun control laws (oregonlive.com)
- Obama to unveil gun control plan (bbc.co.uk)
- New York governor signs gun control law (aljazeera.com)
- Uphill fight awaits Obama’s gun plan – Tampabay.com (tampabay.com)
- Report: Walmart Forbids New Ammunition Orders (mountainrepublic.net)