Founded August 15th 2010
- 921,214 hits
samiam60 on Liar-gate: Obama Pleads the… samiam60 on Liar-gate: Obama Pleads the… Joseph Maloney on Liar-gate: Obama Pleads the… Joseph Maloney on Liar-gate: Obama Pleads the… Joseph Maloney on Liar-gate: Obama Pleads the…
Voting American Archives
Tag Archives: President Obama
Troubling? Putin Oversees Largest Russian Nuclear Tests Since the Cold War
The exercises, held mostly on Friday, featured prominently in news reports on state television which seemed aimed to show Russians and the world that Putin is the hands-on chief of a resurgent power.
Tests involving command systems and all three components of the nuclear “triad” – land and sea-launched long-range nuclear missiles and strategic bombers – were conducted “under the personal leadership of Vladimir Putin”, the Kremlin said.
“Exercises of the strategic nuclear forces were conducted on such a scale for the first time in the modern history of Russia,” the Kremlin statement [added].
“Vladimir Putin gave a high evaluation to the combat units and crews and the work of the Armed Forces General Staff, which fulfilled the tasks before them and affirmed the reliability and effectiveness of Russia’s nuclear forces.” [Emphasis added]
In 2010, the United States and Russia agreed to scale back their nuclear arsenals to no more than 1,550 warheads by 2018. However, while Putin appears to be fine-tuning his arsenal, President Obama has made his commitment to total nuclear disarmament perfectly clear.
“I state clearly and with conviction America’s commitment to seek the peace and security of a world without nuclear weapons,” he said to a Nobel Peace Prize panel shortly after he was elected. “This goal will not be reached quickly – perhaps not in my lifetime. It will take patience and persistence.”
Republicans have harshly criticized the president’s ambitions, however, saying it is highly unlikely our enemies will follow our lead. On the contrary, they will likely just grow bolder as the balance swings in their favor.
The Hand Writing is on the Wall for those who are willing to see it
I warned of this in March of this year with this Article
China and Russia Embark on Military Buildup as America Stands Down
Disarming America’s Nuclear Deterrent
YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED
GLENN BECKS RED PHONE
EXCLUSIVE: Intelligence source in Libya tells Fox News that contrary to Obama administration claims, there was no demonstration outside the US Consulate in Benghazi before last week’s attack that left four Americans dead, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens. Meanwhile, protests spread to more Muslim nations, including Lebanon where Hezbollah al-Mahdi scouts shouted anti-American slogans during a march through Beirut.
An intelligence source on the ground in Libya told Fox News that there was no demonstration outside the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi prior to last week’s attack — challenging the Obama administration’s claims that the assault grew out of a “spontaneous” protest against an anti-Islam film.
“There was no protest
and the attacks were not
the source said,
adding the attack
“Was planned and had
nothing to do with the
The source said the assault came with no warning at about 9:35 p.m. local time, and included fire from more than two locations. The assault included RPG’s and mortar fire, the source said, and consisted of two waves.
The account that the attack started suddenly backs up claims by a purported Libyan security guard who told McClatchy Newspapers late last week that the area was quiet before the attack.
“There wasn’t a single ant outside,” the unnamed guard, who was being treated in a hospital, said in the interview.
These details appear to conflict with accounts from the Obama administration that the attack spawned from an out-of-control protest. The Libyan president also said Sunday that the strike was planned in advance.
U.S. officials, in response to the claim that there was no demonstration at the time of the attack, told Fox News there was a small protest earlier in the day — but they did not dispute that there was no significant or sizeable demonstration at the time.
But a senior Obama administration official told Fox News on Monday morning that the Libyan president’s comments are not consistent with “the consensus view of the U.S. intelligence community,” which has been investigating the incident, and are accordingly not credible.
“He doesn’t have the information we have,” the U.S. official said of Libyan President Mohammed el-Megarif. ”"He doesn’t have the (data) collection potential that we have.”
The Libyan leader told CBS News’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday that the government in Tripoli harbors “no doubt” that the Sept. 11 attack that killed U.S. ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans was “preplanned, predetermined.” That assessment conflicted directly with the preliminary conclusion offered on Sunday by U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice, who appeared on all five Sunday morning talk shows.
There, Rice maintained that the Benghazi incident “was a spontaneous reaction to what had just transpired in Cairo, as a consequence of the video,” and that after the protest outside the U.S. consulate gathered steam, “those with extremist ties joined the fray and came with heavy weapons.”
Asked if the timing of the Benghazi incident – the eleventh anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks — was simply a coincidence, the senior U.S. official said on Monday: “It is coincidental. All evidence we have points to this video being the spark of these events. In all of the intel and traffic, there was no one out there saying, ‘Oh, it’s September 11th, we must avenge…’”
The senior U.S. official added that this is “the consensus view of the U.S. intelligence community at this point,” and that Rice “was not out there volunteering her own opinions.”
The official also discounted as “not accurate” reports that staff at U.S. embassy in Egypt warned the State Department — in a cable purportedly sent on the afternoon of Sept. 10 — about the effect the anti-Islam video was having, and the likelihood of violent protests in Cairo, but received no response from Washington.
“There was cable traffic, involving discussion of the video and the potential for protests, the Embassy was aware,” the U.S. official told Fox News. ”There were discussions about protests between the relevant agencies — intel and State — but the idea that there was no response from State is false.”
Officials at the State Department and the White House continue to express satisfaction with the cooperation they are receiving from foreign governments in the protection of American diplomats and their families. This is said to be especially the case in those instances where President Obama has reached out to foreign heads of state, namely Egypt, Yemen and Libya.
Still, the State Department over the weekend — in a shift of plans that occurred sometime after Friday evening — announced the evacuation of diplomats’ family members and “non-essential” personnel from U.S. Embassies in Tunisia and Sudan, sites of some of the most violent scenes on Friday.
Fox News’ Catherine Herridge, James Rosen and Pamela Browne contributed to this report.Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/17/obama-administration-libyan-president-clash-over-explanation-on-consulate/#ixzz26lGUhZZl
AMERICA IS BURNING
The decline of the Roman Empire refers to the gradual societal collapse of the Western Roman Empire. Many theories of causality prevail, but most concern the disintegration of political, economic, military, and other social institutions, in tandem with foreign invasions and usurpers from within the empire. The English historian Edward Gibbon, author of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (1776) made this concept part of the framework of the English language, but he was not the first to speculate on why and when the Empire collapsed. “From the eighteenth century onward,” Glen W. Bowersock has remarked, “we have been obsessed with the fall: it has been valued as an archetype for every perceived decline, and, hence, as a symbol for our own fears.” It remains one of the greatest historical questions, and has a tradition rich in scholarly interest. In 1984, German professor Alexander Demandt published a collection of 210 theories on why Rome fell, and new theories have emerged since then.
This slow decline occurred over a period of four centuries, culminating on September 4, 476, when Romulus Augustus, the last Emperor of the Western Roman Empire, was deposed by Odoacer, a Germanic chieftain. Some modern historians question the significance of this date, and not simply because Julius Nepos, the legitimate emperor recognized by the East Roman Empire, continued to live in Salona, Dalmatia, until he was assassinated in 480. The Ostrogoths who succeeded considered themselves upholders of the direct line of Roman traditions. The Eastern Roman Empire was going from strength to strength and continued until the Fall of Constantinople on May 29, 1453.
Many events throughout the empire’s history are considered to have worsened the empire’s so-called “decline”. The Battle of Adrianople in 378, the death of Theodosius I in 395 (the last time the Roman Empire was politically unified), the crossing of the Rhine in 406 by Germanic tribes, the execution of Stilicho in 408, the sack of Rome in 410, the death of Constantius III in 421, the death of Aetius in 454, the second sack of Rome in 455, and the death of Majorian in 461 are all macrohistorical events concerning the decline of the Western Roman Empire.
Hat tip to The Blaze for this report
Upside Down: Tech Group Agrees to Pay $90M for Solyndra Building That Cost $300M
When TheBlaze reported on Monday that a whole bunch of discarded Solyndra tubes had been turned into a modern art display, we wondered whether this “green” energy boondoggle could get any sadder.
Turns out, it can.
“Seagate Technology Plc, maker of hard drives and storage devices, has agreed to pay $90.3 million for the former manufacturing plant and headquarters building of bankrupt Solyndra LLC, which was financed by a controversial government loan, according to bankruptcy court documents,” Reuters reports.
So what’s the problem? At least the Solyndra building is one step closer to being sold, right?
Well, considering that the building originally cost $300 million, we’d say this is pretty depressing.
“Seagate’s offer will be considered an initial bid, or ‘stalking horse,’ which could be topped by a competing offer of at least $1 million more when an auction is held, according to court documents filed late Wednesday,” Reuters reports.
“Should a higher bid emerge, Seagate would be entitled to a breakup fee of $1.8 million, a little less than 2.6 percent of the technology company’s offer,” the report adds.
And Seagate wasn’t alone in its interest in the facility.
The Solyndra building “attracted interest from U.S., Chinese and European companies involved in industries such as solar energy, medical-related products, data centers and other technologies that need an ultra-clean manufacturing environment,” the report adds.
“The highest bid came from Seagate.”
This was the best competitive price for the facility — only 30% of what the Obama administration gave Solyndra to build it in the first place. Perhaps Congress should dig further into the construction process at Solyndra to see why a facility built with $300 million of taxpayer money only had $90 million of value, because at first blush, it looks like a lot of money went elsewhere than the facility.
Of course, there could be a simple explanation that the people involved in the sale of the building simply aren’t telling us. The only thing that we know for certain is this: Taxpayers are never, ever going to get back the half-billion that went into this failed project.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Hat Tip to The Blaze for this story
Whoa: Newsweek’s Latest Cover May Surprise You
Now, we all know Newsweek isn’t shy when it comes to controversial cover photos and headline stories. Indeed, on more than a few occasions, Newsweek Editor Tina Brown has had to defend the magazine’s less-than-flattering photos and oftentimes incendiary articles.
Everyone’s also familiar with the publication’s left-leaning tendencies, right? Right.
Newsweek’s latest cover story comes from none other than noted historian Niall Ferguson. The article, titled “Hit the Road, Barack,” argues that President Obama has proven that he‘s an economic illiterate and that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his running mate Paul Ryan’s “path to prosperity is our only hope.”
“Unemployment was supposed to be 6 percent by now. It has averaged 8.2 percent this year so far. Meanwhile real median annual household income has dropped more than 5 percent since June 2009. Nearly 110 million individuals received a welfare benefit in 2011, mostly Medicaid or food stamps,” writes Ferguson.
“Welcome to Obama’s America,” he adds.
“America under this president is a superpower in retreat, if not retirement. Small wonder 46 percent of Americans — and 63 percent of Chinese — believe that China already has replaced the U.S. as the world’s leading superpower or eventually will.”
Ferguson makes the case that the alternative to President Obama’s “Hopenchange” machine, though not the strongest he has ever seen, is infinitely preferable for the health of the U.S. economy:
Mitt Romney is not the best candidate for the presidency I can imagine. But he was clearly the best of the Republican contenders for the nomination. He brings to the presidency precisely the kind of experience — both in the business world and in executive office — that Barack Obama manifestly lacked four years ago. (If only Obama had worked at Bain Capital for a few years, instead of as a community organizer in Chicago, he might understand exactly why the private sector is not “doing fine” right now.)
“And by picking Ryan as his running mate, Romney has given the first real sign that—unlike Obama—he is a courageous leader who will not duck the challenges America faces,” Ferguson adds.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Just when I thought I had seen it all
Can’t believe I am going to say this, but, Thank You Newsweek
Paul Davis Ryan (born January 29, 1970) is an American politician, the United States Representative for Wisconsin’s 1st congressional district, and the presumptive nominee of the Republican Party for Vice President of the United States in the 2012 election. Born and raised in Janesville, Wisconsin, Ryan is a graduate of Miami University in Ohio. He worked as an aide to legislators Bob Kasten, Sam Brownback, and Jack Kemp and as a speechwriter before winning election to the U.S. House in 1998 and is currently the chairman of the House Budget Committee.
Ryan has proposed replacing Medicare with a voucher program for those now under 55, and turning Medicaid and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamp Program) into block grants to the states. Ryan introduced these in his spending plan for the House Budget Committee in April 2011 and in an updated version in March 2012.
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Wisconsin‘s 1st district
January 3, 1999
|Preceded by||Mark Neumann|
|Chairman of the House Budget Committee|
January 3, 2011
|Preceded by||John Spratt|
|Born||Paul Davis Ryan
January 29, 1970 (age 42)
Janesville, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Alma mater||Miami University (B.A.)|
Learn more about Paul Ryan at