Afghanistan Koran Burning Protests Rage On for Third Day
A government spokesman said one had been killed and 16 were injured in a new Koran burning protest in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar Sunday, where hundreds took to the streets to demonstrate for a third consecutive day.
A similar protest in eastern Parwan province blocked a main highway with burning tires for about an hour, with more than 1,000 people protesting against the desecration of the Koran, said provincial police chief Sher Ahmad Maladani. He said there was no violence.
Meanwhile, the Taliban called on people to rise up, blaming government forces for any violence that did occur.
The Taliban said in a statement emailed to media outlets that the U.S. and other Western countries have wrongly excused the burning a Koran by the pastor of a Florida church on March 20 as freedom of speech and that Afghans “cannot accept this un-Islamic act.”
The desecration at a small U.S. church has outraged Muslims worldwide, and in Afghanistan many of the demonstrations have turned into deadly riots. Protests in the north and south in recent days have killed 20 people.
Please pray for all those Innocent Victims and Our Brave Military Men and Women who are Serving in that region of the world. They have now been placed in even greater danger than before.
Pastor Jones, just what exactly did you accomplish?
- Pastor Jones, don’t burn that Koran! (via Voting American) (votingamerican.wordpress.com)
- Afghan Mob Kills 10 UN Workers To Protest Koran Burning By Florida Pastor (businessinsider.com)
- Five Killed In ANOTHER Afghan Protest Against Koran Burning By Terry Jones (businessinsider.com)
- Another Protest Death Over Koran Burning (news.sky.com)
- Koran-Burning Pastor Denies Claims He Prompted U.N. Afghanistan Murders (mediaite.com)
- “Afghanistan: Kandahar protest at Koran burning” and related posts (legitgov.org)
- Afghanistan Koran Burning Protests Continue for Third Day (foxnews.com)
- Fury Over Florida Koran Burning Continues For Second Day In Afghanistan (alan.com)
- UN Workers Beheaded Over Florida Koran Burning (constitutionclub.org)
- More die in Koran-burning riots (mirror.co.uk)
- Deadly protests flare up in Kandahar after Koran burning – Globe and Mail (news.google.com)
- Deadly protests flare up in Kandahar after Koran burning (theglobeandmail.com)
- Lunatic pastor ‘devastated’ by murderous response to Koran-burning stunt (freethinker.co.uk)
- Afghan Koran protests spreading (bbc.co.uk)
- U.S. pastor defiant after his Koran-burning publicity stunt caused the deaths UN staff being beheaded and five others murdered (nozynelly.wordpress.com)