These Flash Mobs are focused riots. Literally, a bunch of people all go into a store and riot and loot. They beat up the customers and clerks alike, vandalize and rob the place, and storm out. Pre-planned and small scale, focused riots.
The audacity, the mindset behind this sort of attack is rooted in a sense of mass anonymity. That group empowerment, the desperation of poverty and frustration with increased crowding are all a part of this is true, but these factors have been around for a long time. What’s not been around is the phenomenon of Flash Mobs and without a sense of being anonymous in the crowd, they would never happen. That they are happening is the result of overpopulation together with poverty and a lack of control.
Updated August 20th: Cleveland Ohio
- Flash Gangs, America’s Newest Crime Wave (votingamerican.wordpress.com)
- Flash Gangs, America’s Newest Crime Wave (via Voting American) (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Around The Country, Police Can’t Handle The New Wave Of Criminal Flash Mobs (businessinsider.com)
- Are ‘Flash Robs’ Giving Flash Mobs a Bad Rap? (newsfeed.time.com)
- Debate Over Social Media Incitement as Flash Mobs Strike (thelede.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Riots and Flash Mobs (lewrockwell.com)
- Little evidence links mob violence to social media (cnn.com)
- Dr. Boyce Watkins: Black Teen Flash Mobs: A Frightening Result Of Chronic Political Neglect (huffingtonpost.com)
- Elegant flash mob Diner en Blanc a success (bizjournals.com)
- VICTOR DAVIS HANSON: “How are we to make sense of flash mobbing, the London rioting, more hatred ex… (pajamasmedia.com)